Nkandla probe ongoing: Presidency

Comment on this story
Copy of Copy of si nkandla INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPERS President Jacob Zuma's Nkandla home. File picture: Doctor Ngcobo

Johannesburg - The investigation by the SIU into upgrades to President Jacob Zuma's private home in Nkandla was still ongoing, the presidency said on Tuesday.

The investigation ensued after Zuma signed a proclamation authorising the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) to probe the public works department's “prestige project” at Nkandla.

The presidency said the probe was one of 27 which were still ongoing following proclamations signed by the president.

In a report released in March, Public Protector Thuli Madonsela found Zuma and his family had unduly benefited from the R246 million spent on security upgrades to his private home in Nkandla, KwaZulu-Natal.

Zuma declined to respond to Madonsela's report in full within the required fortnight. Instead he said he would wait for the SIU's findings on the same issue.

The president had undertaken to hand National Assembly Speaker Baleka Mbete a comprehensive report on the outcome of three separate investigations into state spending on his home by the end of Wednesday last week.

However, on Thursday last week, his spokesman Mac Maharaj said the president needed more information before responding to findings about his home.

Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.