CLOSE X
Advertisement

No new jet for Zuma - for now

Politics

Pretoria - The proposed purchase of a new Boeing 777 jet for President Jacob Zuma will not go ahead, Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula said on Friday.

She told reporters in Pretoria the procurement process was cancelled after the offer to purchase lapsed on June 15.

Share this story
Cape Town 230212 President Jacob Zuma at the African National Congress Centenary Memorial Lecture on the second ANC President Sefako Mapogo Makgatho deliveried by the ANC President Comrade Jacob Zuma . The event was held at the Hood Hope Centre Western Cape. pidture : neil baynes Reporter : Xolani

A US10 million (about R82 million) deposit would be returned in full, the minister added.

The ministry confirmed that there was also an offer from Airbus but that this lapsed two weeks later on June 30.

“I have since met with the companies approached to submit proposals for the procurement of VVIP aircraft, including Boeing, and I have informed them that the current process has been cancelled.”

The minister said a new procurement process could be expected in the future because there was a need for VIP planes.

Mapisa-Nqakula said the process involving Boeing was being probed by Public Protector Thuli Madonsela.

She declined to say whether the regular procurement requirements had been followed, pending the outcome of that investigation. - Sapa

Share this story
Advertisement
X