R200 discount for liking us on FB
Pretoria - The government spent R206 million on security upgrades and consultants for President Jacob Zuma's Nkandla home, Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi said on Sunday.
Included in this amount was R135 million for “operational needs”, and R71 million for consultants and security features such as bullet proof windows and security fencing, he told reporters in Pretoria.
However no houses were built using public money.
“There is no evidence that any house belonging to the president was built with public money,” Nxesi said, following an investigation by a task team.
There were however irregularities in the appointment of service providers who carried out security upgrades.
“It is very clear that there were a number of irregularities with regards to appointment of service providers and procurement of goods and services.”
Fifteen service providers and consultants were employed.
The task team was appointed in November after the costs of Zuma's residential complex caused an outcry. The matter was also raised in Parliament.
Nxesi said Zuma's home, like those of former presidents and former deputy presidents, had been declared a national key point.
The task team was told to ascertain in detail the security assessments and recommendations made by state security agencies.
“The investigation revealed that an approval was granted to the regional bid adjudication committee to adopt a negotiated nomination procedure in appointing contractors, despite this being a national project,” Nxesi said. - Sapa