Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Johannesburg - The SABC board illegally removed the acting chief operations officer Hlaudi Motsoaneng, the Communication Workers Union said on Wednesday.
“We believe that the small clique or faction that operates within the board has never stopped working to topple Mr Motsoeneng ever since he started his work as the acting COO,” CWU national spokesman Matankana Mothapo said in a statement.
“They have done so through concerted and well co-ordinated media leaks, rumour-mongering and spreading lies.”
Mothapo said CWU knew the SABC was divided on the matter.
A statement said to have been issued by the board last week, announced it had resolved in a meeting in Cape Town on February 25
to release Motsoeneng of his responsibility as acting COO with immediate effect.
It decided he would revert back to his previous position as group executive of stakeholder relations and provinces.
The board appointed Mike Siluma, a veteran journalist and head of radio news and current affairs, to the position.
Earlier this week, it was reported that Motsoaneng had been reinstated as acting COO.
SABC chairman Ben Ngubane was on Monday reported as saying Motsoeneng was back in the position of acting COO.
However, a statement said to be issued “by the majority of board members” denied this later on Monday, saying the removal of Motsoaneng stood.
Mothapo said the CWU would write a letter to Communications Minister Dina Pule, demanding an explanation for the changes at the SABC.
“We also request the minister to reverse the SABC board decision before anarchy can prevail,” he said. - Sapa