As a show of determination to eradicate racism in KwaZulu-Natal, Premier Senzo Mchunu has announced two task teams to probe threats by an anti-Indian organisation.
Mchunu’s announcement came amid calls from the Mazibuye African Forum for the exclusion of Indians from the government’s black economic empowerment initiatives
Presenting his State of the Province address in Pietermaritzburg on Wednesday, Mchunu said the government was committed to non-racialism. It was his first provincial address since taking over from Zweli Mkhize, and the last one before the general elections.
He said the cabinet had formed a special committee on social cohesion, comprising Professor Paulus Zulu, Vasu Gounden, Professor Cheryl Potgieter and Paddy Kearney.
The committee would research and investigate allegations of racism, and report the findings to a provincial cabinet task team of Transport MEC Willies Mchunu, Health MEC Sbongiseni Dhlomo and Human Settlements MEC Ravi Pillay.
A second task team, comprising Economic Development MEC Mike Mabuyakhulu and Finance MEC Ina Cronjé, would analyse the profile of companies that benefited from government tenders.
Last year, Mchunu appointed Pillay and Umgungundlovu district mayor Yusuf Bhamjee to lead a task team investigating anti-Indian behaviour by Mazibuye.