Johannesburg - Suspended Cosatu general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi launched a website on Friday so the public had all the “facts” about his “illegal” suspension from the labour union federation, his spokesman said.
“We've set up the website to ensure members of the public have all the facts about the paralysis in Cosatu which has manifested itself through the continued suspension of comrade Zwelinzima Vavi from his elected position as general secretary,” spokesman John Dludlu said in a statement.
“The last few weeks have seen an escalation in the malicious disinformation campaign to discredit him.”
He said the website was aimed at enabling the public and the media to have full facts to access Vavi's side of the story.
Dludlu said the site contains documents, speeches, press releases and pictures from Vavi as well as well as nine member unions of the Congress of SA Trade Unions which were calling for his reinstatement.
“As comrade Vavi prepares to challenge his illegal suspension in the South Gauteng High Court next week, we've prepared an easy to read guide to workers about his crisis in Cosatu as well as details about next week's night vigil in his support.”
Dludlu said the website also dealt with the selective leaks around the sale and purchase of Cosatu House.
Vavi was suspended last year after he admitted to having an affair with a junior employee. She initially accused him of rape but did not lay charges with police. - Sapa