Johannesburg - It was said in parliament this week the Democratic Alliance started and ended with a Helen, referring to Helen Suzman and Helen Zille.
But for some Twitter users, the party’s be-all and end-all is Tim Harris, who is getting the country’s vote for the politician with the most sex appeal.
Harris turned heads when he arrived at the State of the Nation debate on Thursday.
In the evening, “Tim Harris” trended on Twitter in South Africa ahead of the man doing the talking, President Jacob Zuma.
A male DA staffer even began an unofficial Tim Harris fan club on Twitter.
Seconds after a picture of Harris was tweeted arriving at the Poorthuis entrance to Parliament with his wife Cara at his side, some female tweeters bemoaned the fact he was married.
Some simply retweeted his picture out of admiration.
When the 34-year-old was asked on Thursday night why he thought he was trending on the social networking site, he laughed, somewhat embarrassed, and joked: “It is because of what I’m saying about economic policy.”
Harris has worked on five election campaigns since 2004. In 2005, he was appointed as chief of staff for Tony Leon, the longest-serving leader of the opposition in democratic South Africa.
In the 2009 national elections, he managed the campaign events team for Helen Zille, the leader of the DA, before being elected to Parliament as a member of the Western Cape delegation in the National Council of Provinces.
He serves on the Standing Committee on Finance in the National Assembly and is the Parliamentary counsellor to parliamentary leader Lindiwe Mazibuko.
Here are some of the tweets from fans who are drooling over the DA man.
* “Thank you for opening my eyes to Tim Harris!!!! Those eyes, that jaw line... *fans self*”
* “Will you spoil my ballot? Will you canvas my district? Can we print you on our currency so I can keep you in my bra?”
* “Discussing the DA’s edible @timharris on @Xpress947. Car crashes all over the city.”
* “My word! I’ve been salivating throughout traffic... Tim Harris!!! @947Highveld this can’t be life!”
* “The only reason I would vote DA is if Tim Harris was campaigning to be Mr South Africa, Mr Universe & Mr World. I would stay voting…!”
* “This Tim Harris is BEEYADIFUL! I will definitely be listening tomorrow and my name is Anastasia ;) haha.”
* “Wow! Tim Harris is smoking hot! Why isn’t he the face of the DA – they’d get a lot more votes :)”
* “I JUST SAW TIM HARRIS ON THE TELLY! YES!!!!! *sings* :) :) :) *dances around studio*”
* “I wonder what it would be like to wake up every morning next to Tim Harris. *swoons* Let me make him my screensaver…”
* “We need postage stamps with the face of Tim Harris. Problem is people will lick the wrong side.”
* “And girls want to nationalise Tim Harris. No, they want to colonise him.”
* “Since I ran out of reasons to vote this year, I’m gonna vote DA because of Tim Harris. Some #eyecandy in parliament for a change.”