CLOSE X
Advertisement

Search for missing flood victim

News
Share this story

KZN Disaster Management Authorities, Nquthu Fire and Rescue Services and Babanago SAPS have been activated to search for a man who went missing in flood waters.

The 48-year-old man, believed to be a teacher at a school in Nquthu, KwaZulu-Natal, allegedly went missing after his vehicle was pulled into Nanakazi river, by strong currents during heavy rains on Sunday night. 

At this stage, not many details have been provided, however emergency personnel are continuing with their search.

Lennox Mabaso, spokesperson for the KZN Department of Co-operative Governance, said disaster prevention and management teams were intervening across the province, following the extreme weather which has led to localised flooding.

Mabaso said there had been a number of incidents responded from last night. These included 22 people trapped inside a bus as it got submerged in water near Nseleni outside Richards Bay. 

Swift responses by the disaster teams from King Cetshwayo municipality and uMhlathuze ensured that all passengers were rescued.

In another incident, involving a Bakkie, three passengers were also rescued and all passengers were safe. 

The preventative evacuation of at least 200 people in Mzingwenya near Richards Bay was also carried out successfully, said Mabaso, and the communities were being assisted with all emergency needs until the situation is safe for them to go home.

In uGu District there were reports that a few mud houses had collapsed in uMzumbe municipality (2 houses), in uMdoni (6 houses), in uMuziwabantu (2 houses).

At this stage there were no reported fatalities in the province, Mabaso said.

Share this story
Advertisement
X