Eastern Cape denies health crisisComment on this story
Eastern Cape -
The Eastern Cape health department on Friday denied claims that it was unable to maintain medical equipment at state hospitals in the province.
“We are still in a position to maintain medical equipment at hospitals,” said spokesman Sizwe Kupelo.
He was responding to a report in the Dispatch Online, which claimed there was a funding crises relating to revitalisation projects, and that some projects had already ground to a halt.
The website said the department was even struggling to fix broken air-conditioners in operating theatres.
“Revitalisation projects are at risk. There's just no money,” acting head of infrastructure Mlamli Tuswa was quoted as saying.
The report claimed the department faced a R22 billion infrastructure and maintenance backlog, which was crippling service delivery.
The figure had increased by R3bn in the past six months alone, leaving the department struggling to maintain its 1200 facilities across the province, it said.
Kupelo said: “The issues are receiving attention. The report in the Dispatch was meant for the national standing committee on health. It was an internal document, and this could have possible implications.” - Sapa