CLOSE X
Advertisement

PE police to probe claims of arson in Nelson Mandela Bay

Eastern Cape
Port Elizabeth – Eastern Cape police were investigating claims on Thursday, that two men allegedly started fires in Nelson Mandela Bay. Earlier speculation rose after a voice note circulated on social media.

In the voice note a man could be heard saying that he had witnessed two men at Sardinia Bay Nature Reserve in Port Elizabeth carrying 5 litre petrol cans.

He went on to say that he chased the two men in the direction of Schoenmakerskop.

Tell a friend
Picture: ANA Pictures

He further appealed to community members to assist him in tracking down the two men.

Police spokesperson, Colonel Priscilla Naidu, said Walmer police had taken a statement from a person who had allegedly seen two people in the bushes setting up fires in the Sardinia Bay area.

Naidu said that no arrests had been made and the matter was being investigated.

Meanwhile, on Thursday evening Nelson Mandela Bay emergency teams continued to douse fires in Van Stadens, Bushbuck Ridge, Sardinia Bay, Rocklands and Victoria Drive.

Municipality spokesperson, Mthubanzi Mniki said teams were trying to save lives and property while trying to completely extinguish the fires.

"Except for the four informal dwellings reported to have burnt earlier during the day, no more damages or injuries have been reported so far," said Mniki.

Vegetation fires started in Nelson Mandela Bay on Wednesday while more fires intensified and spread out across the metro by Thursday morning.

Tell a friend
Advertisement
X