Qunu - The Mandela family observed a second phase of mourning for Nelson Mandela in Qunu, Eastern Cape, at the weekend, the Sowetan reported on Monday.

“We are pleased that everything went well. Things were done properly… The ceremony was peaceful,” royal house spokesman Daludumo Mitrara was quoted as saying.

He said the mourning ritual was attended by the main family members and several others. This included Mandela's widow Graça Machel, his grandson Mandla Mandela and ex-wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela.

“It would have been improper to have the ceremony if they were not there,” said Mitrara.

The third phase of mourning would continue until June, when Machel concluded the entire mourning process, which had been reduced from one year to six months.

Mandela died in December at his Houghton home at the age of 95. - Sapa