Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
A farmer worker died and three were treated for poisoning after drinking wine suspected to have been contaminated at Kirkwood in the Eastern Cape, police said on Tuesday.
Uitenhage police spokesperson Inspector Gerda Swart said four workers bought wine from a local liquor store on Sunday.
"After drinking the wine, all four feel seriously ill. They complained of severe diarrhoea, stomach cramps and fever," she said.
They were all taken to hospital for treatment where one of them, aged 45, died on arrival.
One man was discharged and two women were still in hospital on Tuesday, under observation, she said.
She said according to the doctor who treated them, the wine might have been contaminated with insecticide used to spray orange groves.
Kirkwood is a citrus-growing area.
It is alleged that the contamination resulted from empty, dirty bottles being picked up from the streets and nearby farms.
Wine is often filled in these containers and sold to the local community.
She said Kirkwood police had confiscated the bottles and would send them for forensic tests.
Police have opened an inquest docket. - Sapa