Date set for house collapse inquiry

Comment on this story
IOL pic aug20 alberton house collapse Independent Newspapers The scene of the collapsed building at the Meyersdal Eco Estate. Picture: Dumisani Sibeko

Johannesburg - An inquiry into a house collapse which killed seven people in Alberton will begin in October, the labour department said on Thursday.

“Through this hearing, we want to prevent this disaster from happening again. We are not here on a witch-hunt and finger-pointing exercise,” commission chairman Phumudzo Maphaha said in a statement.

Seven workers were killed and nine injured when the house in the Meyersdal Eco Estate, south of Johannesburg, collapsed last week Monday.

Maphaha, a senior labour department specialist, would be helped by other department officials, including principal inspector Christo du Preez and specialist inspector Lesibe Raphela.

Cross-examinations of witnesses would begin on October 29.

The inquiry would focus most of its time on gathering evidence on the columns that supported the area that collapsed, Maphaha said.

Interested parties included the building's owner, insurer, designer, the Engineering Council of SA, the National Home Builders Registration Council, and the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications.

Last week, the Ekurhuleni municipality said no building plans for the house were submitted for approval.

Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.