Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Johannesburg - The body of a fourth person killed in a Soweto building collapse was retrieved from the ruins, Gauteng police said on Wednesday.
“One of the security guards patrolling the premises spotted the body on Tuesday and called the police,” said Warrant Officer Kay Makhubela.
During the removal of the body by emergency services, police spotted a truck leaving the premises, Makhubela said.
“Scrap metal from the collapsed building was discovered in the truck, four people were arrested and charged with theft.”
The building, an old power station behind the landmark Orlando towers, collapsed last week.
Officials found out about the collapse when paramedics received a call from an injured man who claimed to have been part of a group allegedly trying to steal cables and metal from the building.
Three bodies were retrieved a few days ago by rescue teams.
The four men are expected to appear in the Orlando Magistrate's Court on Wednesday. - Sapa