Gas kills mom and baby

Comment on this story
iol pic wld baby foot sxc.hu

A woman and her infant son died of carbon monoxide poisoning at a construction site in Alberton on the East Rand on Tuesday, paramedics said.

The family was apparently using a charcoal fire for warmth at an informal settlement on the construction site in Randhart, Netcare 911 spokesman Jeffrey Wicks said.

“Either falling asleep or overwhelmed by the noxious gas, the couple failed to extinguish the fire, which is thought to have burnt through the night in an adjacent room.”

A passer-by found their bodies in the morning and called paramedics.

The woman's husband was in a critical condition.

“Her husband is fighting for his life in hospital... Carbon monoxide poisoning is particularly prevalent in the winter months, as many resort to fires for warmth,” said Wicks. - Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.