CLOSE X
Advertisement

Gas kills mom and baby

Gauteng

A woman and her infant son died of carbon monoxide poisoning at a construction site in Alberton on the East Rand on Tuesday, paramedics said.

The family was apparently using a charcoal fire for warmth at an informal settlement on the construction site in Randhart, Netcare 911 spokesman Jeffrey Wicks said.

Tell a friend

“Either falling asleep or overwhelmed by the noxious gas, the couple failed to extinguish the fire, which is thought to have burnt through the night in an adjacent room.”

A passer-by found their bodies in the morning and called paramedics.

The woman's husband was in a critical condition.

“Her husband is fighting for his life in hospital... Carbon monoxide poisoning is particularly prevalent in the winter months, as many resort to fires for warmth,” said Wicks. - Sapa

Tell a friend
Advertisement
X