Housing official angers Princess Park residentsComment on this story
Johannesburg - Princess Park residents reacted angrily on Tuesday when Joburg member of the mayoral committee (MMC) for housing Dan Bovu arrived two-and-a-half hours late for a feedback meeting in the area.
The troubled area’s residents had gathered on the main street of the Roodepoort informal settlement, ready to continue their service delivery protests that began last week.
The residents first took to the streets exactly a week ago to march against poor service delivery and to demand the houses they said were promised to them many years ago.
On Saturday, the protesters took out their frustrations on neighbours in Lindhaven and Greenshank Villas, a residential complex opposite the informal settlement, vandalising and looting homes.
Bovu was supposed to meet the residents at 4pm on Tuesday, but arrived only around 6.30pm to report back to the residents.
Residents were unimpressed with him, calling him a liar as he gave details of a programme and plan he said was in place for the building of houses.
Bovu said there was a contract in place and it needed to be developed.
He asked that the residents allow him and his team the time to show them how the programme would work.
Bovu asked the residents to meet again today at 4pm.
“He is selling us the same story he did the last time. What he is saying is nothing new,” said a resident, who did not want to be named.
A strong police presence kept protesters at bay. As Bovu left, residents threw stones at the police Nyala he was transported in.