‘Imbawula’ kills five in Joburg

Comment on this story


crime scene august 3

Independent Newspapers

File picture: Bongiwe Mchunu

Johannesburg -

Four children and a man were found dead in two cases of carbon monoxide poisoning on Thursday, Johannesburg emergency services said.

A two-month old girl, a four-year-old boy and another girl, 12, were found dead in Appolonia Street, Troyeville, around 8.30am, spokesman Robert Mulaudzi said.

The family of five are believed to have lit a small “imbawula” fire inside their house and inhaled the toxic fumes.

An imbawula is a makeshift coal stove made out of a large tin with holes in the side; it is designed to burn for a long time.

The children's mother and a six-year-old boy were taken to Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital in a critical condition.

In a separate incident, a man, 26, and a 16-year-old boy were found dead in a shack in Diepsloot Extension Two around 9.30am, Mulaudzi said.

They had also used an imbawula in their home and died from inhaling carbon monoxide.

Neighbours called the fire department in both instances.

Mulaudzi cautioned against the use of small fires inside households.

“People need to look after their heating and lighting appliances and use the imbawula outside their homes,” Mulaudzi said.

“We need to make sure that everyone is safe... (During) these cold temperatures.” - Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory