Lines open after train derailmentComment on this story
Johannesburg - One of the four railway lines closed after a train derailed in Elandsfontein in Gauteng on Friday morning has been reopened, Metrorail said.
“We have four lines. We have closed three lines and one is operational at this stage. It is expected that by this afternoon the southern line will again be fully operational,” said spokeswoman Lillian Mofokeng.
The train was travelling from Pretoria to Johannesburg when it derailed around 7am.
Sixteen people were injured, two seriously, while the other 14 sustained minor injuries.
Mofokeng said the cause of the derailment was being investigated.
“It's too early at this stage to say what caused the derailment,” she said.
“It (the derailment) is currently being investigated.”
Earlier, Ekurhuleni emergency services spokesman William Ntladi said all the injured, including the driver and his assistant, had been taken to various hospitals. - Sapa