Mansion collapse: company to pay for funeralsComment on this story
Johannesburg - The construction company involved in renovating a house that collapsed killing seven people in Alberton, south-east of Johannesburg, will contribute to the funerals of those killed, it said on Wednesday.
“We have met with the families of the deceased and we will be assisting with contributions for the funerals,” Romicon owner Sean Romburgh said in an sms to Sapa.
“We have also arranged trauma counselling for family and staff members for today (Wednesday).”
He said the company would release a statement later on Wednesday.
On Tuesday, Ekurhuleni municipality said no building plans of the house were submitted for approval.
“No plans were submitted to the City of Ekurhuleni, deeming the whole construction illegal,” municipal spokesman Themba Gadebe said at the time.
“Any builder constructing any structure should first submit plans for approval, as required by the law.”
Seven construction workers were killed when part of the house in the Meyersdal Eco Estate collapsed on Monday.
Two of the dead workers were cut in half. Eight other workers were injured.
A search at the collapsed house was called off shortly before 1pm on Tuesday when everyone who had been on site was accounted for.
The National Home Builders' Registration Council said on Tuesday it was investigating the incident. - Sapa