Six KES lightning victims back at school

Comment on this story


iol news pic King Edward VII School

INLSA

The King Edward VII School in Houghton. File picture:Dumisani Sibeko

Johannesburg - Six Johannesburg schoolboys struck by lightning earlier this week returned to school on Thursday, the Gauteng education department said.

“The one boy at Milpark (hospital) is likely to be discharged today. The other two are still critical,” spokesman Charles Phahlane said.

On Tuesday, lightning struck nine boys, aged between 16 and 18, at King Edward VII School (KES) while they were pulling the covers over the cricket pitch.

Four Protea Glen girls, all aged 16, were struck by lightning while on their way home from school on Monday. Two of them were treated and discharged.

One of the girls was still in a critical condition at the Chris Hani Baragwanath hospital, and the other at the Tshepo Themba private hospital.

“(Education) MEC (Barbara) Creecy went to both Milpark and Chris Hani to see the condition of the learners and to understand the additional support that parents and schools may need. She thanked the two hospitals for their efforts to care for the learners,” said Phahlane. - Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory