The African National Congress in KwaZulu-Natal conveyed its condolences on Tuesday to the families of those killed by flooding in the province.
“Our hearts go out to the families who have lost their loved ones in the floods,” provincial spokesman Senzo Mkhize said in a statement.
“Many of our people have had their homes and valuable belongings washed away or destroyed by floods.”
Ten people were killed and three went missing during heavy rains in the region, provincial co-operative governance and traditional affairs MEC Nomusa Dube told reporters in Durban earlier on Tuesday.
The ruling party commended the provincial government's response.
“We urge community members to be on high alert and co-operate with government officials during (the) evacuation process in order to avoid further loss of life,” said Mkhize.
With more rains predicted for KwaZulu-Natal, the ANC called on the provincial government to put disaster teams on high alert across the province.
Mkhize urged motorists to be careful and people to help their neighbours.
“The culture of ubuntu should prevail in this trying time,” he said.
The ANC called on the provincial cabinet to declare most of the affected areas disaster zones so people could receive the required attention. - Sapa