The affordable education loan option
Durban - Chatsworth parents, Clinton and Magdalene Mcklean, spent their Diwali morning in the RK Khan Hospital emergency room after a firework exploded in their son’s face
Seven-year-old Alister Mcklean, a Grade 2 pupil at Tyburn Primary School, was playing with loud bangs in the garden with his older brother on Sunday morning.
Clinton said the two had bought the fireworks, known as “spiders”, from a nearby shop with their own pocket money.
“We have four sons and we buy them a range of fireworks, but we keep them out of their reach until Diwali night,” said Clinton.
“The older boys had bought these crackers without us knowing. Early on Sunday morning, they took the fireworks outside and began lighting them.”
Alister’s older brother was lighting the fuses while Alister watched. When one of the spider crackers did not go off, Alister picked it up. The firework exploded in his face, with flames and sparks flying into his right eye.
At the hospital doctors were able to ease the pain around his face and treat his eye, and Alister was scheduled to see an eye specialist on Monday.
Clinton said the episode had been a frightening ordeal:
“We want to urge all parents to be mindful of their children when it comes to fireworks around this time of year. What’s happened to Alister is not something we would wish on our worst enemy.”
Clinton said Alister would not attend school for the next few weeks while he recovered.
Kamla Chetty, spokesperson for the RK Khan Hospital, said that apart from Alister, two other incidents were reported. A 36-year-old man had burns to his forearm and eye as a result of a firework exploding near him, while a 31-year-old man sustained burns to his face, arms and chest in a separate fireworks-related incidents.