KwaZulu-Natal disaster management teams have been placed on standby for the severe cold front expected this week, the provincial co-operative governance department said on Monday.
MEC Nomusa Dube said in a statement that most parts of the province were going to experience very low temperatures as from Tuesday, and this weather was expected to last the whole week.
“Many families are likely to try to keep themselves warm by lighting up open fires, using generators, among other heating mechanisms. We are urging our people to be careful about these so as to prevent disastrous fires,” Dube said.
Disaster teams had been dispatched across most parts of the province to respond swiftly in case of disasters.
“The weather warning also includes the possibility of snow falls which may lead to roads becoming impassable. Therefore our disaster teams are on standby, working with the police, to try and provide a rapid rescue service in case of need,” Dube said.
The SA Weather Service earlier on Monday said bitterly cold conditions were expected over large parts of the country this week.
“Very cold” conditions were defined as maximum temperatures of 10 degrees Celsius or below, forecaster Vanetia Phakula said.
The Western Cape, Eastern Cape and southern KwaZulu-Natal had a high probability of rainfall. Snow was predicted over parts of these provinces and the southern Free State. - Sapa