KZN school trip ban liftedComment on this story
Durban - KwaZulu-Natal state schools can once again undertake school trips after the province's education MEC Senzo Mchunu on Friday lifted a ban imposed in September last year.
But the province's state schools will have to abide by an additional set of rules that aim to ensure the safety of children travelling on school buses or minibus taxis for sports events and other exchanges that take place between schools.
The province saw 30 pupils killed last year on trips organised by schools. The ban did not apply to the province's private schools.
Mchunu said the department had formulated a new policy after wide consultations.
Schools would now need to seek permission for school trips.
The nod for trips out of the province would come from Nkosinathi Sishi, the head of the provincial education department.
The policy required schools to undertake a risk assessment before each school trip.
Schools would be able to hire any transport company, but once hired, the bus driver's accident history would have to be checked and the vehicle being used would have to undergo a safety inspection.
“We're doing it to protect the lives of our children,” said Mchunu. - Sapa