Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
The last of the Cape Town safety sites established in the wake of the 2008 xenophobia attacks has been cleared of refugees, the city announced on Friday.
It said the remaining 64 foreigners left the Youngsfield Military Base this week "without incident".
Fifty-eight of them had accepted a cash payout of R1000 from the city to help them relocate, five accepted legal assistance, and one "refused all offers made".
In addition, food parcels were distributed to all those who left willingly.
"The South African National Defence Force reclaimed its military base at 16h00 yesterday, 29 April," the city said in a statement.
Last week, the city evicted other refugees from the Blue Waters campsite near Strandfontein.
It said on Friday it would have to repair damage estimated at over R8-million before re-opening Blue Waters as a holiday resort for residents.
It said caring for displaced foreigners and providing shelter and security had cost it nearly R200-million over the past two years, with only R17-million being refunded by national government. - Sapa