Diarrhoea outbreak: food sent for testingComment on this story
Polokwane - Authorities confiscated food from a lodge in Limpopo on Monday after 45 people contracted diarrhoea.
The food items believed to have been contaminated were removed from Mokopane Lodge as authorities feared that more people could contract the illness.
Provincial health spokesman Macks Lesufi said the Disease Outbreak Response team in the province disposed of the food items.
He said part of the food and water samples were taken to the National Health Laboratory for scanning to find out what caused the contamination.
“Those who contracted the bacteria had attended a workshop at the lodge, as well as two nurses who were booked there,” said Lesufi.
The outcome of the laboratory results was expected within a few days.
At least 45 people were admitted to hospital, with nine of them in a critical condition.
Thirty six of them were treated and discharged from the Voortrekker Hospital on Sunday.
No new cases were reported, Lesufi said.
“The department will advise the lodge management which measures to follow on food and water safety once the laboratory results are available.”
The lodge premises had been sterilised, he said.