New toilets being built after boy’s death

Comment on this story
IOL  st p1main pit toilet 2.JPG.JPG (39450955) THE STAR The corroded seat of the pit toilet through which six-year-old Michael Komape fell and drowned. File picture: Moloko Moloto

Limpopo - Work has begun to build decent toilets at the Limpopo school where a 6-year-old boy died after he fell into a pit latrine.

On Thursday, an excavator was on the site digging the ditches on which new ablution facilities will be built.

The death of the Grade R pupil, Michael Komape, of Chebeng village outside Polokwane, prompted the SA Human Rights Commission to launch a probe.

A load of concrete stones has already been delivered. By Thursday, workers had put up a camping tent, in which they stored their building equipment. Two men were also seen cutting the untidy grass in the school yard.

Provincial Education Department spokesman Phuti Seloba said they would build new toilets with 16 cubicles. “We are hoping to finish in the next two weeks.”

He said mobile flushing toilets were expected to arrive at the school late on Thursday.

Neighbours and friends gathered at Michael’s home on Thursday.

Funeral undertaker B3 had already provided a tent for the family.

Michael’s father James Komape said B3 had offered to assist with the funeral at no charge.

Department officials also visited the family.

They left with Komape to buy groceries for him in Polokwane.

“We will buy enough groceries for the funeral,” said Seloba.

The funeral will be on Sunday, according to Komape.

[email protected]

The Star



sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.