Advertisement

MEC orders Mbombela crash probe

Nelspruit - Mpumalanga's community safety MEC has ordered an investigation into the accident that killed two people and injured 113 near Mbombela on Wednesday morning.

“Vusi Shongwe says an in-depth investigation would be able to determine if the cash-in-transit truck was roadworthy,” his spokesman Joseph Mabuza said in a statement.

File image

The investigation would help determine if the cash-in-transit truck's owners, SBV, should be criminally charged.

Apparently the truck's bonnet popped open and blocked the driver's view. The truck then veered into the path of an oncoming articulated Buscor bus knocking it off the road about 15km outside Mbombela.

“Those who are responsible, including owners of the vehicles involved, must face the consequences,” Mabuza said.

SBV said it was investigating.

“A thorough investigation into the causes of the accident is being conducted,” spokeswoman Vanessa Sabbatini said in a statement.

She said further information would be disclosed when the probe had been concluded.

The company's group CEO Grant Dunnington sent his condolences to the families of the two people killed.

“I hope that those who were wounded recover from their injuries as soon as possible.”

Sapa

SHOW ALL
Advertisement