No power cuts expected - Eskom

Comment on this story
IOL pic mar10 eskom brian dames Independent Newspapers Eskom CEO Brian Dames is stepping down at the end of March. File picture: Leon Nicholas

Johannesburg -

Eskom was not expecting any power cuts next week, although the system would still be tight, it said on Sunday.

“The situation is stable at the moment. At this stage there are no power cuts planned,” said spokesman Andrew Etzinger.

This was after the power utility had to introduce emergency rostered power cuts (load shedding) in certain areas to prevent a collapse of the national power grid because coal supplies for electricity generators became wet in the past week's persistent rain.

On Friday, Eskom CEO Brian Dames said the power cuts were a result of wet coal received from open-cast mines.

Etzinger said the system remain constrained, but the public would be informed if there were any changes.

When asked if the coal was still wet, he said there was still rain in Mpumalanga, where most of the mines are situated, but the situation was better than last week. - Sapa



sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.