Johannesburg - The anniversary of the Marikana shooting should be a day to remember those who were killed, the African National Congress said on Saturday.
“We solemnly remember the 44 people who lost their lives in the ten days leading up to and including 16 August 2012,” spokesman Zizi Kodwa said in a statement.
Forty-four people were killed during strike-related violence at Lonmin's platinum mining operations at Marikana, near Rustenburg in the North West, in August 2012.
Thirty-four people, mostly striking mineworkers, were shot dead in a clash with police, over 70 were wounded, and over 250 arrested on August 16, 2012.
Saturday is the two year anniversary of the shooting.
A commemoration rally for the shooting was being held in Wonderkop near Marikana. Economic Freedom Fighters leader Julius Malema and Democratic Alliance Parliamentary leader Mmusi Maimane were expected to speak at the rally.
It could not be confirmed on Friday whether any government officials would be attending the event.
Last year, government was absent from the one-year commemoration.
Kodwa said the Farlam Commission of Inquiry, established by President Jacob Zuma, should conclude with it's investigation into the shooting.
“It is our hope that the (commission)... will soon conclude its business and provide much needed answers to our country and the world on what transpired on those fateful days in Marikana,” he said.
The commission, chaired by retired judge Ian Farlam, is investigating the deaths of the 44 people that were killed.
The ANC also urged people, particularly within the mining industry to recommit themselves to resolving the pressing challenges within the sector.
“A commitment borne of the determination that such a tragedy never recurs,” said Kodwa. - Sapa