Boy, 4, electrocuted in N West

Mmabatho, North West -

A four-year-old boy was killed by an illegal electricity connection in Mmabatho on Tuesday, North West police said.

Electricity cable. Picture. Herbert Matimba. Credit: INLSA

He was electrocuted while playing on the locked burglar door at his parents' house in Extension 39 around 2.30pm, Captain Pelonomi Makau said.

Paramedics declared him dead on the scene.

His parents apparently rented out one of the rooms in the house to Bangladeshi nationals, who used it as a tuck shop and created an illegal electrical connection. They had since left, but the room still had the illegal connection.

The homeowners failed to report the matter to Eskom and continued to use the room with the illegal connection.

Local residents called the police, who opened an inquest docket. No arrests were made. - Sapa