Northern Cape pupils still staying awayComment on this story
Olifantshoek, Northern Cape - Children in the Northern Cape have still not returned to schools, provincial education spokesman Sydney Stander said on Wednesday.
“We will meet church leaders on Thursday to see how they could help encourage parents to send their children to back to school,” he said.
Stander said the department would work with the church leaders, community leaders and parents to try and resolve the situation.
An 18-page report, compiled by an education task team, was handed to Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga on Monday, said her spokeswoman Hope Mokgatlhe.
She said 41 of the 65 schools in the Johan Taolo Gaetsewe District Municipality, which includes Kuruman, had been closed since June because of a high level of intimidation.
Residents have been protesting over a lack of tarred roads in the municipality.
On Monday, Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa visited Olifantshoek, where he met residents who had demanded the mayor's resignation amid accusations of corruption.
“The fundamental issue is that learners must return to school. That is the ultimate goal of the minister's intervention,” Mthethwa's spokesman Zweli Mnisi said.
Mnisi said resolving the issues in the town was a collective effort.
Following discussions chaired by Mthethwa, it was agreed that a task team including community representatives, local government and education officials and police be formed to resolve tensions in the town.
The Congress of the People condemned the disruption of schools in the province.
“An effective recovery plan by Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga is needed to assist pupils in this province as they have lost serious valuable learning time,” Cope spokesman Willie Madisha said in a statement. - Sapa