The elderly woman received medical treatment at the Galeshewe Day Hospital and Kimberley Hospital after suffering a prolapsed womb following the rape. Picture: Danie van der Lith
Kimberley - The man who was charged for the rape of a 68-year-old grandmother from Lerato Park, is expected to make a formal bail application on July 5.

It is believed that the grandmother was raped in her bed while her two young grandchildren were asleep next to her.

The accused appeared in the Kimberley Magistrate’s Court last week after Lerato Park ward councillor Paul Kok and members of Operation Wanya Tsotsi handed him over to the police.

Kok said that the grandmother, who suffered a prolapsed womb following the incident, was taken by ambulance to hospital after suffering complications but was discharged on Friday.

Meanwhile, Cosatu provincial secretary, Anele Gxoyiya, expressed shock and disgust over the brutal rape.

“We condemn this action with the contempt it deserves and see this pervert as an insult to manhood,” said Gxoyiya.

“We commend the vigilance of the ward councillor as well as the crime busters of Operation Wanda Tsotsi for their swift action that led to the arrest of the accused. We call on the State to deny him bail and the magistrate to hand him a maximum possible sentence when his case is heard.”

Gxoyiya added that criminals who were involved in shocking offences of this nature, do not belong within communities.

“They deserve to rot in jail. We call on our communities to be vigilant and monitor and guard the houses in the neighbourhood, especially those that are occupied by the elderly and young children who are defenceless.

“This is a strong case for the resuscitation of the community policing forum as well as street committees for safer communities.”

Gxoyiya urged provincial government to support community crime-fighting initiatives.

“Operation Wanya Tsotsi must be supported so that they can work with the police to fight crime.”

Diamond Fields Advertiser