Johannesburg - A review process whereby beneficiaries of social grants had to present themselves at particular contact points has been suspended across the country, Sassa said on Thursday.
“We are requesting all beneficiaries who received letters from Sassa requesting them to review their social grants to ignore the notices,” SA Social Security Agency Western Cape spokeswoman Shivani Wahab said.
“No social grants will be cancelled.”
Wahab said there had been confusion between a previous re-registration project completed in October and the social grant review process.
The re-registration project aimed to provide each beneficiary with a debit card to collect their monthly payments. The review process, however, was to establish if people were still eligible for a social grant.
She said that subsequently some beneficiaries received letters telling them they needed to come in for a review within 90 days -
or the grants would be suspended.
“This resulted in large numbers of beneficiaries accessing our offices and service points... due to challenges with staff capacity, we were unable to assist everybody, which in turn led to unacceptable service levels,” said Wahab.
“Based on this, a decision was taken to suspend the social grant review process.” - Sapa