Taxi body turns to Competition Commission

Comment on this story
minibus taxi taxis INDEPENDENT MEDIA File picture by Motshwari Mofokeng

Johannesburg - The SA National Taxi Council (Santaco) will approach the Competition Commission with a complaint that government subsidy agreements with bus operators are uncompetitive.

“The subsidies have the effect of assisting bus operators in their destructive competition with minibus taxi operators, which is anti-competitive, and inconsistent with the Competition Act,” Santaco said in a statement on Monday.

It had held fruitless talks with government on the matter and would now consider other avenues, including a national strike.

“Public transport subsidy is meant to benefit all public transport users. In the current situation it is only benefiting 35 percent, leaving over 65 percent (that is) taxi commuters unsubsidised.”

This meant taxi operators resorted to undercharging to remain competitive, sacrificing the safety of their taxis and resulting in poor service.

“The taxi industry has had enough of this discrimination and will approach all relevant institutions to get relief on behalf of the over 15 million daily taxi commuters,” Santaco said.


sign up

Comment Guidelines

  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

  5. Verified email addresses: All users on Independent Media news sites are now required to have a verified email address before being allowed to comment on articles. You are only required to verify your email address once to have full access to commenting on articles. For more information please read our comment guidelines