The affordable education loan option
By Aziz Hartley and Balalo Ndenze
Three white teenagers are to be prosecuted for an alleged racial assault on their coloured neighbours.
And they are to face the Equality Court as well.
The Prince family of Melkbosstrand, outside Cape Town, alleges their neighbours' teenage son and his friends attacked them in January with a cricket bat, hit and kicked them amid chants of "moer die k****r".
Chris Prince and his son Garth, 27, were admitted to hospital.
Provincial director of public prosecutions Rodney de Kock on Tuesday night confirmed that the boys would be charged.
They are to appear in the Atlantis magistrate's court next week on charges of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm, common assault and crimen injuria, he said.
Peter Williams, an advocate representing the family, said on Tuesday that the Equality Court sent notices to the three on Monday advising that proceedings had been instituted against them.
"They have also been notified of complaints lodged against them, and they have 10 days to indicate if they will oppose," Williams said.
The Equality Court was established to hear cases of hate speech, discrimination and harassment.
Meanwhile, about 50 African National Congress members staged a placard demonstration on Tuesday in support of the Princes.
ANC MPL Max Ozinsky, who led the demonstration, said they wanted to show support for the family and encourage people to oppose racism.
He said the most positive response to their protest came from Melkbosstrand "and most of them are from whites".
Said Chris Prince: "We don't feel so alone anymore."
"It was very bold of them to have taken this type of action and we thank them. It is good to see the ANC is getting involved in what is going on at grassroots level".