Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Two men are on the run, after performing an illegal circumcision on a 16-year-old boy, resulting in his death, the Eastern Cape health department said on Monday.
"They performed a circumcision on the boy last week. The boy died at the illegal initiation school at the Chris Hani informal Settlement, west of Mthatha," health department spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said.
He said when police and the department's task team visited the school on Sunday, the men, both in their early twenties, fled, along with three younger boys who had been circumcised.
"We are searching for the five of them. One of the missing boys is the brother of the boy who died last week."
Last week's death brings the illegal circumcision toll in the province since June to 53.
"Those performing illegal initiations are normally paid with a bottle of alcohol, or charge between R150 t0 1 500.
"We urge the public not to use the illegal schools, and to please call an ambulance if their children fall sick after being circumcised. Don't wait until it's too late," Kupelo said. - Sapa