2 killed, hundreds dispalced by Cape firesComment on this story
Cape Town - Two people were killed and 369 people were displaced when a fire swept through the New Rest informal settlement, in Nyanga, early on Sunday morning, the city of Cape Town said.
Disaster management spokesman Wilfred Solomons-Johannes said Nkosiyedwa Nqandi, 38, and Msondezi Mponda, 30, were trapped in their shacks and could not escape the blaze. They were declared dead on the scene.
The city's disaster response unit had handed out clothing, food parcels, blankets and building materials to those affected by the fires.
Emergency trauma counselling had been provided to the families of those who died and to witnesses.
Electrical cables were also burnt and the power supply was interrupted, said Solomons-Johannes.
On Saturday night, six wood and iron dwellings burnt down in Vrygrond Informal Settlement in Muizenberg, displacing 20 people, he said.
Also on Saturday, 30 adults and seven babies were displaced when 15 shacks burnt down in Onverwacht Informal Settlement in Strand.
The causes of the fires were being investigated. - Sapa