Clifton trawler salvage op postponedComment on this story
All salvaging operations of a 50 metre fishing trawler that ran aground at First Beach in Clifton on Saturday has been halted, the Cape Town disaster risk management centre said.
In a statement spokesman Wilfred Solomons-Johannes said operations would resume at first daylight on Sunday.
“The positioning and presence of the vessel has the potential to undermine the environmental, economic, and social potential of a key area of the coastline.”
The trawler ran aground around 5.15am, Solomons-Johannes said.
There were reportedly 90 tons of fuel and ammonia on board.
It was not known what made the trawler run aground. Its engines remained in working order and generators continued to work.
The thick fog was suspected to have played a role.
By Saturday afternoon the National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) confirmed that the crew members of the trawler had been rescued.
“Two NSRI rescue swimmers were placed onboard the vessel and Taiwanese consulate staff and the ships agent assisted the NSRI with language interpretations between the... crew and NSRI rescuers,” spokesman Craig Lambinon said.
Of the 28 Taiwanese crew members and dog on board, 19 were evacuated. The dog remained on board on the insistence of the captain, its owner. - Sapa