Community up in arms over gangsComment on this story
Gugulethu residents on Friday handed a memorandum to Community Safety MEC Dan Plato calling for an end to gangsterism and violence in the area.
The MEC accepted the document during a public meeting at the Gugulethu Civic Centre, attended by about 200 people.
Cluster commander Major General Robbie Roberts accompanied Plato.
The memorandum referred primarily to three houses being set on fire and the vandalism of three others last Sunday night, in suspected gang activity.
Vuyo Zondani, councillor for Ward 38, said that the attack on the houses was the last straw.
“In the past year we have had countless deaths and funerals because of gang shootings and stabbings.
“Families have been unable to move on because their children’s killers are still out there, and continue to terrorise the community.”
The community’s main concerns were that the police failed to respond immediately when attacks were reported and were unable to prevent the acts of vandalism. Community members wanted to know whether they could force the parents of teen gangsters to leave the area.
Plato said he would need time to study the document.
Roberts said no complaints against the police had been laid, which meant that they could not investigate.