Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Johannesburg - A candle was the cause of the massive fire that wreaked havoc at the Mandela informal settlement in Hout Bay on Sunday, killing one man, disaster management officials said.
“The deceased, Monwabisi Nguze, 39, was intoxicated at the time of the incident and went to bed without extinguishing a candle,” said Wilfred Solomons-Johannes, Cape Town’s head of disaster management.
He said 80 shacks were destroyed, leaving 400 people homeless.
The fire, which started just after 1am, engulfed most of the residents' belongings.
Food, blankets and clothes were being provided for the victims. - Sapa