Man dies in Cape shack fire

Comment on this story


IOL news jan 2  fire wc

Independent Newspapers

File photo: Andrew Ingram.

Cape Town - A man died in a shack fire in Khayelitsha on Monday morning, the Western Cape disaster risk centre said.

Spokesman Wilfred Solomons-Johannes said the fire started in the Makhaza shack around 3.20am, and that residents used buckets and sand to extinguish the flames.

Dalibuzwe Silayi, 39, was in the shack and died on the scene from severe burn wounds.

Solomons-Johannes said the fire may have been started by an unprotected candle flame.

An inquest had been opened.

Various fires across the city at the weekend left a three-year-old boy dead and at least 218 people without homes. - Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory