Advertisement
logoSections

Man dies in Cape shack fire

Cape Town - A man died in a shack fire in Khayelitsha on Monday morning, the Western Cape disaster risk centre said.

Spokesman Wilfred Solomons-Johannes said the fire started in the Makhaza shack around 3.20am, and that residents used buckets and sand to extinguish the flames.

File photo: Andrew Ingram. Credit: Independent Newspapers

Dalibuzwe Silayi, 39, was in the shack and died on the scene from severe burn wounds.

Solomons-Johannes said the fire may have been started by an unprotected candle flame.

An inquest had been opened.

Various fires across the city at the weekend left a three-year-old boy dead and at least 218 people without homes. - Sapa

SHOW ALL
Advertisement