Cape Town - A man died in a shack fire in Khayelitsha on Monday morning, the Western Cape disaster risk centre said.

Spokesman Wilfred Solomons-Johannes said the fire started in the Makhaza shack around 3.20am, and that residents used buckets and sand to extinguish the flames.

Dalibuzwe Silayi, 39, was in the shack and died on the scene from severe burn wounds.

Solomons-Johannes said the fire may have been started by an unprotected candle flame.

An inquest had been opened.

Various fires across the city at the weekend left a three-year-old boy dead and at least 218 people without homes. - Sapa