Johannesburg - There is no evidence that primary schoolchildren in Cape Town are playing a game simulating rape, the Western Cape education department said on Sunday.
MEC Debbie Schafer said district officials and social workers visited schools to speak with principals, teachers, and pupils.
“I can confirm that the report given to me after these visits is that the Western Cape education department has received no reports from the principals, teachers or learners that the game is being played,” she said in a statement.
The Cape Times reported on Monday that principals and parents in Mitchells Plain had raised the alarm about the new game. A principal, who asked not to be named, told the newspaper that girls as young as 10 were given a chance to run before the boys chased them.
When a girl was caught, a boy would pin her down and simulate rape for up to 20 seconds. Once “raped”, she would be out of the game. The game continued until all girls had been “raped”.
“The Western Cape education department does not take such reports lightly and will continue to engage with our schools to create an awareness of the dangers associated with alleged games such as this,” she said.
Pupils were encouraged to contact a toll free number, 0800-45-46-47, to report sexual abuse and violence, or receive advice and counselling.
“I would like to appeal to any learner, parent or educator that is aware of any abuse, violence or game such as the alleged rape game, to please make use of this toll-free service,” Schafer said. - Sapa