Cape Town - A Gauteng netball player is recuperating in a Cape Town hospital after being paralysed in a highway smash on her way to a tournament in the city.
Netball SA (NSA) chief executive Blanche de la Guerre said the young player had sustained a neck fracture and the specialist treating her had said she would have limited use of her arms.
The specialist had told NSA their priority had been to stabilise her neck.
Her family had asked that she not be named, De la Guerre said.
“Two other players are still in hospital in Worcester but the rest have been discharged from hospital.
“The two who are still in hospital are expected to leave by the end of the week.
The Boland netball association is providing them with accommodation and counselling,” NSA said.
The team from Sedibeng in the Vaal Triangle had been travelling to the Spar National Netball Championships in Cape Town on Sunday when the driver of their team bus lost control of the vehicle, which rolled down an embankment between De Doorns and Worcester.
“The player who was paralysed in the accident was transferred to the Tygerberg Hospital because of the severity of her injuries, and there are plans to move her to the spinal rehabilitation unit at Groote Schuur as soon as possible.
“She will later be taken back to her family in Johannesburg,” NSA said.
De la Guerre said NSA was doing everything it could to assist all the players, including bringing two members of the seriously injured player’s family to Cape Town.
They would also arrange to fly the other players back to Joburg.
“We have spoken to lawyers and will advise the netball association on the way ahead, including working with the taxi association and the Road Accident Fund,” she said.
“We have had a meeting with a representative of the taxi association, who have also offered their support.”