Ralph and Nicole Stanfield. File picture: Willem Law/Independent Media
Cape Town - Alleged gang boss Ralph Stanfield has survived the weekend but is still in a “critical condition” in a Johannesburg hospital, according to police.

The Daily Voice can also reveal that only three of the 14 bullets fired at him hit his body while the other 11 hit his car and the bulletproof vest.

Meanwhile, cops have appealed for witnesses who saw the drive-by shooting last Thursday to come forward.

Stanfield, a suspected 28s boss, was attacked while driving in his Audi R8 car in Joburg.

Stanfield, 37, who was wearing a bulletproof vest at the time, drove himself to the nearby Morningside Medi-Clinic in Sandton, but lost control and crashed into three cars.

His Audi R8 sports car is valued at a whopping R3.3 million.

“We don’t know how many suspects there were or what car was used,” said police spokesperson Captain Mavela Masondo, adding that police have not established a motive yet.

According to a source close to the investigation, Stanfield went into theatre twice before midnight on Thursday to remove the bullets from his body.

Captain Masondo said on Sunday night the alleged gang leader is still critical and remains in hospital.

“The investigation is still ongoing. We are still searching for any leads and request witnesses to come forward with any information.

“For now, nothing has changed, the victim (Stanfield) still remains critical in hospital,” says Masondo.

It is believed that Stanfield was in Joburg with his mother “on business”.

On Thursday, his wife Nicole Stanfield confirmed to Daily Voice that she was on her way to Joburg, but would not confirm or deny that her husband had been shot.

Nicole did not reply to queries on Sunday.

Stanfield is the fourth alleged Cape Flats gang boss to have been targeted this year.

In November, his lawyer Noorudien Hassan was gunned down in a suspected hit outside his Lansdowne home.