Cape Town -
The number of passengers killed in road accidents in the Western Cape has decreased by half compared to last year, Transport MEC Robin Carlisle said on Monday.
He said 29 people died as passengers in vehicles between December 1 and December 29 this year, compared to 59 last year.
In this period, a total of 124 people lost their lives on the roads, compared to 149 deaths in 2012.
Carlisle said he was seriously concerned by the recent spike in pedestrian deaths, which was the highest in four years.
So far, 60 pedestrians had died on provincial roads this month. Last year, 55 pedestrians died on the roads in this period. In 2011, 42 pedestrians were killed.
“The festive season is by no means over. We will continue with our ongoing enforcement efforts and campaigns to make our roads safer moving into the new year,” he said. - Sapa