Sanral blames City for evictionsComment on this story
Cape Town - Cape Town City could have avoided the eviction of shack dwellers in Lwandle settlement, Sanral said on Tuesday.
“This situation might not have arisen if the city did not walk away from the discussions with Sanral to find an amicable solution to the issue,” Sanral spokesman Vusi Mona said in a statement.
He said the city abdicated responsibility towards residents of Lwandle, outside Somerset West.
“Despite the city's efforts to put the blame on Sanral, the agency's offer to donate land to Cape Town remains open,” Mona said.
“We call on the city to rescind its decision and restart the process to find a workable solution that will benefit the poor communities affected by recent events.”
The eviction of shack dwellers began on Monday and continued into Tuesday.
The SA National Roads Agency Limited, the owner of the land, was granted an eviction order by the Western Cape High Court earlier this year.
Western Cape police said 10 people had been arrested for alleged public violence since the evictions began, with petrol bombs thrown and tyres set alight.
Mona said Sanral had been engaging with the city since 2003 to relocate the occupants living in the road reserve to alternative accommodation or serviced sites.
“The deliberate inaction of the city brought this process to an abrupt end.
“This caused further invasion of the land. Sanral eventually had no other option to apply for a High Court Order to prevent further land invasions.”
Earlier, the city's human settlements MMC Siyabulela Mamkeli said those evicted would be given short-term shelter.
“The city cannot incentivise illegal land invasion by providing alternative accommodation, as we have a duty to protect the rights of those people who are on the housing waiting list,” Mamkeli said in a statement.
“However, as part of our commitment to being a caring city, the City of Cape Town has decided to make available community facilities to those people affected by Sanral's legal action.”
Transport Minister Dipuo Peters and Human Settlements Minister Lindiwe Sisulu were expected to visit the site of the evictions on Tuesday.