Biggest Fashion Sale Of The Year! Shop 12 000 Up To 70% OFF!
Cosatu expressed shock on Wednesday at the Auditor General's disclaimer audit report on the SABC.
“Cosatu is disturbed and shocked by AG Terence Nombembe's report on the SABC,” Congress of SA Trade Unions (Cosatu) spokesman Patrick Craven said in a statement.
“He (Nombembe) has given the worst possible audit opinion - a disclaimer - because he could not obtain sufficient (and) appropriate audit evidence.”
In the 2013 annual report tabled in Parliament on Tuesday, Nombembe cited financial mismanagement and inadequate controls as reasons for the disclaimer.
A disclaimer is issued if the AG cannot form an opinion and thus declines to present an opinion about an entity's financial statements.
Nombembe's found the SABC was unable to provide documentation to account for more than R1.5 billion in expenditure.
“I was unable to obtain sufficient, appropriate audit evidence for journals processed to broadcasting cost, signal distribution, and linking cost, marketing cost, professional and consultancy fees and other expenditure... which, in total amount to R1,588,929,000, as supporting documentation could not be provided,” Nombembe said.
In addition, the SABC also failed to adhere to the laws governing taxpayers' money.
Cosatu welcomed an announcement by Communications Minister Yunus Carrim in Parliament on Tuesday that he had established a task team to strengthen financial controls at the public broadcaster.
“Cosatu believes that the SABC's crisis is structural.... It has been plagued by seemingly intractable governance crisis at both management and board levels since 2007.”
The SABC's dependence on advertising revenue and sponsorships had led to its failure to adequately play the role of a public broadcaster.
Cosatu supported an African National Congress resolution at its Mangaung elective conference last year to increase government funding to turn the SABC “into the authentic voice of the South Africans”. - Sapa